Tchaka or Tyaka Recipe: Haitian Dish
1 lb (1 bag) dry corn
½ bag (optional) peas
½ package squash or pumpkin
1 can Coconut Milk
1 and ½ lbs salted meat pork or stew beef (for meaty tyaka, use 2 lbs)
1 Small white cabbage or large kale leaves (to choose).
1 Green and red peppers
Seasoning or salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
Haitian Tyaka Dish Directions
1. Wash dry corn and peas. Put them to boil in a soup pot.
Boil slowly - on medium -through tightly covered-pot. Check to see if it's done. The peas should be ready.
2. Clean the meat, rinse, season and marinate it without salt in another bowl. Cut the cabbage medium size in a bowl. Wash and set it aside.
3. When the peas are cooked (not too cooked), add the meat and kale (if you choose white cabbage, book it to the end) in the soup pot with the corn and peas already boiling.
4. Clean spices. Wash and slice celery, onion, red and green peppers (optional)
5. Put the pumpkin to boil, when ready, move to the blender. Blend and set it aside.
6. Continue cooking your Haitian dish. When meat, peas and corn are well-cooked, mix all ingredients. Pour pumpkin, coconut milk, spices as well. Add 2 tablespoons of butter or oil. Season to taste.
7. Simmer on medium until desired consistency. Taste and serve.
8. Prepare a pickle to accompany it. (Optional)